Shaken baby syndrome is a disease which can be caused by violent shaking in anger to stop child crying or whining resulting in permanent brain injury, spinal-cord injuries or bleeding in eyes or even death. The victim can be more between the ages of three to eight months. It may happen up to the age of four years. Many children can have permanent brain damaged, retinal injuries, blindness and neck and spinal injuries. The nervous system can get disturbed permanently.
Causes and effects
- Parents or caregiver shake the child angrily to stop the child crying
- It is result of child’s abuse
- It can be accidental like jogging with the child in backpack
- It will not occur due to gentle play or bouncing the child on the knees
Signs and symptoms
Irritability and vomiting can be experienced by the child. Breathing difficulties and child may feel lethargic to move.
The problem of seizures may be seen due to brain swelling. The child feel nervousness and happiness disappears from the face of the child. Changes in behavior pattern of child may be seen. Loss of consciousness, paleness of skin and poor eating is possible by the child.
Shaken baby syndrome treatment
Children with this disease require emergency care like respiratory support and surgery immediately. The draining of blood around the brain may be needed to decrease the ongoing injuries related to brain swelling. Neurological and ophthalmologic may be obtained to evaluate the situation and start treatment as soon as possible.
Never try to shake the child to wake the child up. Do not try to give any thing by the mouth but let the doctor must decide. Make the child to turn the head to the side to prevent choking in case of vomiting. Follow the instructions of seizure first aid in case the child is feeling convulsion.
1. Always remember never to shake the child in play or in a mood of anger.
2. Avoid holding the child when the arguments are going on.
3. Try to control your anger and put the child in the crib to get calm down or leave the room immediately to avoid this happening.
4. Relative or friend can be invited in case you are unable to control the situation to avoid shaking the child.
5. Use child hotline or local crisis hotline to avoid this problem.
6. The help from the counselor can be sought to solve this crisis in time.
7. Never ignore the signs of this disease after it has been done by you after shaking the child.
8. Don’t feel the burden of the child but the pleasure of his or her presence in the home to avoid this incident.
9. Get the child checked up regularly to know the health of the child and happiness of your family.